14 November 2008

an infinite playlist

lately, i have been feeling really nostalgic for the pop culture artifacts from my past that i believed i had moved on from. i've been playing vice city(my favorite game from my college years) i've been talking incessantly with my cousin jon about the britpop that provided the soundtrack for my high school years. i've even been allowing my co-worker buzz to listen to hank fm at work on the chance that i may hear an old randy travis or george strait song that my mom used to listen to when i was a child.

but the thing i have been jonesing for the most is mix tapes.

in our ipod, cd rewriter universe the mix tape seems to have rapidly gone the way of the buffalo. and that is just sad as mix tapes often provided the best, most effective way to produce a cohesive playlist. i never really got into the mix cd thing because to make one, one didn't even need to listen to the songs that were being put on them. most mix cd's ended up as just a jumble of random songs that generally didn't have the flow or continuity that marked the best mix tapes. i don't have an ipod, but i imagine the same problems exist.

there was a very distinct artform to the mix tape. i used to make like one a week in my teens as i was on this journey , this stoned quest to find the optimal track listing. i took it as a personal challenge to my musical knowledge to find the perfect follow up to songs like big star's thirteen or suede's trash or ride's vapour trail. and while they weren't often perfect, they at least had alot of thought and alot of time put into them. and for that they ruled. i knew mix cd's basically sucked from the beginning when i realized i was putting more time and effort into the designing of the covers than i was into the designing of the playlist. hell, on most of the mix tapes i made, i never even made a cover or a track listing because the individual songs didn't matter as much as the overall feel of the tape.

i miss cassettes and mourn their near extinction. occasionally, i will still attempt to make one, but i usually give up about halfway through as i know i am doing it only for myself. you can't really give one to anybody anymore because you never know who even has the aparatus with which to play it. and that is just sad because it has led me to a time in which i may never know what song or songs could create a bridge between lil wayne and led zeppelin. taylor swift may never sit next to alex chilton. and i may never again get to use them all in an attempt to extend the olive branch of friendship to a fellow music lover.

if i were gonna make a mix tape right now these songs would be on it:






5 comments:

Misty said...

You are not going to believe this (or you might just think I am insane), but I still have the mix tapes you gave me. And sick enough, I will occasionally listen to them. I loved my VW GTI for many reasons, but most of all because of the tape deck. Billy thought I was weird because after being hit by a Semi, the first thing I grabbed from the car were my mix tapes (they weren't all yours you ego maniac).
I say go for it, make one already. And for nothing else, do it for yourself. You deserve it.
Thanks for turning me on to music and bands I still love to this day.

Ryan Micheel said...

I still make mix tapes for myself. But I find myself doing it less and less. Partially, because they are so time consuming for not having the ability to give them to anyone. At this point, they are only for me to listen to in the car that doesn't have a cd player that I really only use on the weekends.

Unknown said...

at first i vehemently disagreed with your whole take on this. i make mix CDs for people all the time, and i still feel like i put a lot of time and effort into it. but when i really thought about what it was like to make a tape for somebody, realized you're right; it's just not the same. how sad. it's not that i don't put the same amount of effort into it; it's more that the spontaneity is gone. i've recently had the good fortune to get a very, very early morning radio show on a local college station, and that has kind of the same feel as making a tape, i think, the main difference being that the station doesn't have some of the things i would choose from my own collection.

i still have a tape player. i wanted so badly to find a new car that had a tape deck and cd player in it so that i could still listen to all the awesome mixes people made for me years ago. oh oldness.

Zach Proctor said...

Free Write:

Death came without warning. What happened next only a few know. The war between the Chiefs was getting more violent; the bloodshed was getting closer and closer to the Kings front door. Something had be done…

Years Before:

Tamaka was coming returning from his hunt. He was returning to receive his fathers blessing. He was returning to lead his people. Tamakas’ mother Tantoo had another plan that night. Before Tamaka was to return home, her favorite son Junie would receive the fathers blessing. Tantoo knew it was possible because her husband was blind and Junie was much similar to Tamaka.

Junie went to his fathers stable and killed one of the many beasts as offering for the blessing. Tantoo lead Junie in to his fathers’ house calling Junie by his brothers’ name. Tamakas’ father was not easily convinced asking his son many questions about hunts and battles. After all was said and bellies full Junie received his fathers blessing. Tamaka returned with his kill and was told Junie had already been blessed. Tamaka outraged, banished his brother and mother. This was only the start…
_______________________________________________

b said...

i drive a volvo wagon. it has a tape player. we should talk.