14 August 2008

gonna get burned again, and looking forward to it

this week's thursday roll call has left me in a pickle. i am excited about a number of films opening our fair city even though my pessimistic heart wonders why. this week i will see american teen at the landmark, not because the kids documented are from indiana, but because emily wants to. and she usually gets what she wants, so that's easy.

but that's not the pickle. no the vinegary brine enveloping me is provided by two people that continue to disappoint me, yet, nonetheless still occasionally get me to the theater to see their movies.

tropic thunder is another ben stiller comedy that i am pretty sure will fall flat despite the fact that my guy robert downey jr. is portraying a white guy acting like a black guy for a film within the film. but then again iron man is not my reason for doubt. it's his costars, as ben stiller has pretty much been nothing but a disappointment since the awesome as hell zoolander and jack black is basically only good in things directed toward kids.(school of rock, kung fu panda) those two cast some serious doubt about how good this piece will actually be as these guys both tend to ham it up in ways that just aren't quite as funny as they think they are. but regardless, i will still probably see it soon...hopefully at the drive-in so that if it sucks i will have anaesthetic to numb the pain, or if it happens to rule, it will become an instant classic based on the atmosphere of tibbs. i will give it a shot.

after the debacle of match point, i told myself i would never let woody allen burn me again. and i was doing a good job too, staying far away from scoop and the ewan mcgreggor/colin farrell one that just looked dreadful. but then that semi-incestuous fuck had to do something that to this viewer is almost damn near irresistable and base his next film in the fantabulously cinematic setting of barcelona. fucker. i mean seriously, just the word barcelona makes me drool at the idea of eigeman and nichols trapsing their way through the gorgeous scenery in whit stillman's ode to the city, barcelona, a great film i really really really encourage my readers to check out.(even if they have already seen it) plus the girls in allen's film look amazingly beautiful, which is par for the course in spain.

beautiful city, check. beautiful girls, check. me in line, reluctantly check. i know i am signing up for something emotionally grade schoolish and intelectually vapid, but i don't care.

this one is shame on me, but we won't get fooled again...unless his next film takes place in prague. fuck you woody allen...here's my ten bucks. fucker.

3 comments:

Ryan Micheel said...

My burns are still healing from Tropic Thunder. I'm one out of four on Stiller as a director.

troy myers said...

i think i would have much rather watched the fatties fart 2...but only if downey jr. plays a black guy.

Mike Scott II said...

...actually didn't mind V-C-B. Hot bitches. Good tunes. An actual ENDING - which was missing from that dreadful TERRIBLE 'Cassandra's Dream'. There's a point near the end of VCB where Patricia Clarkson is planning a party(no spoilerage here) and I thought, if this movie ended now it would still have more closure than Cassandra's Dream.

Oh yeah, the Wackness was F. Murray Abraham's best movie since Star Trek 14, or something.

heh.